1.? ?About us
2.? ?What data do we collect about you?
We collect personal data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in the Website and Platform, and data from third-party platforms you connect with. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Website and Platform you interact with or spend time using.
2.1.? ?Personal data you provide to us
We may collect personal data from or about you depending on how you use the Website and Platform. When you create an account and use the Website and Platform, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
|Subscribe for Free Data||A visitor?s name and email address are recorded when subscribing for any free download or webinar. By subscribing, you provide us with personal identifiable information which we use to send information concerning the webinars or any other marketing related information.|
|Account Data||To use certain features (like signing up as a Member), you need to create a member account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, gender, and date of birth, and assign you a unique identifying number.|
|Profile Data||You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly view able by others. If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the Website and Platform. All uploaded files are usually publicly accessible.|
|Shared Content||Parts of the?Website and Platform let you interact with other Members or share content publicly, including by posting reviews, asking or answering questions, sending messages to members, experts or coaches, or posting photos or other information you upload. Such shared content may be publicly view able by others depending on where it is posted.|
|Platform Data||When you sign in and access the Website and Platform, we collect certain data included in assessments, projects, coaching and events, your exchanges with experts, coaches, and other Members; and tasks, comments, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy the project requirements.|
|Member Payment Data||If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name, email address) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners (PayFast), that includes your name, credit card information, billing address etc. For security, The Learning Tree does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.|
|Data About Your Accounts on Other Services||We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your Learning Tree Member account. If you, login to The Learning Tree via Facebook or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices, gender, birthday, and list of friends or contacts. Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us. If you access or use our Website and Platform through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.|
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
2.2.? ?Information we collect through automated means
When you access the Website and Platform, we collect certain data by automated means, including:
|System Data||Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types.|
|Usage Data||Usage statistics about your interactions with the Website and Platform, including projects accessed, time spent on pages or the Website and Platform, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Website and Platform.|
|Approximate Geographic Data||An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.|
The data listed above is collected using server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the next section. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2.3.? ?How cookies are used to collect information
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on The Learning Tree. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to The Learning Tree, like your preferred language, and to make the Website and Platform easier to use.
We use both?session cookies, which expire after a brief time or when you close your browser, and?persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into The Learning Tree. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
When using mobile applications, you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide its own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact that platform operator.
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser?s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customise, or use some interactive features in the Website and Platform.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser?s cookie management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe?s?article on managing flash cookies?and?Website Storage Settings panel.
- For general information about targeting cookies and how to disable them, visit?www.allaboutcookies.org.
2.4.? ?How analytics are used to gather information
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics data collection tools like Google Analytics on our Website and Platform. These Data Collection Tools help us analyse your use of the Website and Platform, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Website and Platform, usage, and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Website and Platform, better understand how the?Website and Platform perform on different devices and provide information that may be of interest to you.
2.4.? ?How online advertising is used to gather information
We use third-party advertising service providers like Facebook and Google?s Ads, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our?Website and Platform on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things we know about you, like your Usage Data and System Data, and things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and?Website and Platform and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising providers we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our?Website and Platform and may access those tracking technologies to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these advertising providers with a hashed, anonymised version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Website and Platform.
When using mobile applications, you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3.? ?What we use your data for?
We use your information to do things to provide our services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Website and Platform, analyse how people use our Website and Platform, serve personalised advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the?Website and Platform to:
- Provide and administer the Website and Platform, including to display customised content and facilitate communication with other members, experts and coaches
- Process your requests and orders for specific products and services information, or features
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from administrators, business partners, experts, coaches, notifications about changes to our Platform and Services, and updates to our agreements
- Sending you information and messages about your progress in projects, rewards programs, new products or services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available information (which you can opt-out of at any time)
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the ?options? or ?settings? page of the mobile app)
- Manage your account preferences
- Facilitate the?Website and Platform technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the?Website and Platform, and preventing fraud and abuse
- Solicit feedback from members, business partners, experts, and coaches
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by The Learning Tree
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analysing the data with the help of analytics service providers
- Identify unique members across devices
- Tailor advertisements across devices
- Improve our?Website and Platform and develop new products and services, and features
- Analyse trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data
- Advertise the?Website and Platform on third-party websites and applications
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our members, business partners, experts, coaches, employees, third parties, the public, or our?Website and Platform
4.? ?Who we share your data with?
We share certain data about you with The Learning Tree management, administrators, business partners, experts, coaches other members, service providers performing services for us, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, service providers helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Website and Platform. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
4.1.? ?With our business partners & experts
We share data that we have about you (except your email address or telephone numbers) with business partners, experts and coaches when signing in to our?Website and Platform or request information about, so they can improve their business solutions and tools for you and other members. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to The Learning Tree, questions and answers, comments, and your activities on our platform. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too.
4.2.? ?With other members
Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly view able, including to other members and visitors. If you ask a question to an expert or coach, your information (including your name) may also be publicly view able by other members and visitors depending on your settings.
4.3.? ?With support service providers
We share your data with third-party service providers such as contractors and agents who perform specific services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing, SEO, email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
4.4.? ?With analytic tools service providers
As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data, or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we have removed information like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytical services or match your data with publicly available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customised manner.
4.5.? ?With social media service providers
4.6.? ?With promotions and survey service providers
We may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
4.7.? ?With advertising service providers
If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with service provider advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information of our visitors or members. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalise your member experience (through behavioural advertising) and to undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. Note that if you opt-out, you will continue to be served generic ads from our site.
4.8.? ?For security and legal compliance
We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issue
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of our business, employees, business partners, members, the public, or our?Platform and Services
4.9.? ?During business transfers
If The Learning Tree undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organisation during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
4.10.? After aggregation/de-identification
We can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
4.11.? With your permission
5.? ?How long do we retain your data?
We retain data for our visitors or potential customers who download information and store your name and email address until we find that you stopped interacting with any promotions or when you unsubscribe from the communication channel.
Members have member accounts with a profile linked to the account with personal data which you provided. This personal information is retained until you unsubscribe, or your account is closed. All members can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their user name). Our administrators can also see and edit that information.
If you leave a comment or upload information in the comment section of any page, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely or until we discard that information for whatever reason.
6.? ?What rights members have over their data?
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt-out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our?Website and Platform and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data.
This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.?The same rights are available for any data associated with commercial transactions made with us and our payment provider.
6.1.? ?Your choices about your data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Website and Platform.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive. Note that regardless of your email subscription settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Site & Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Website and Platform, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- You can set your profile according to what you want others to see. Personal information in your profile is voluntary. We may from time to time request you to update your profile to improve the?Website and Platform, we offer, but the choice remains yours what you want to share.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us email@example.com
6.2.? ?Accessing, updating, and deleting your personal data
You can access and update your personal data that we collect. To update data you provide directly, log into your member account and update your account at any time.
To terminate your account on the Website and Platform:
- If you are a member, visit your profile settings page and follow the steps to delete your account
- If you are a business partner, visit your profile settings page and follow the steps to delete your account
- If you have any issues terminating your account, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the?Contact us?page and send us your request.
- Please note: even after your account is terminated, some or all of your data may still be visible to others, including without limitation any data that has been (a) copied, stored, or disseminated by other members (including in comment sections); (b) shared or disseminated by you or others (including in your shared content); or (c) posted to a third-party platform.
- For your protection, we may require that the cancellation request is sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
6.3.? ?Data collected concerning children
We recognise the importance of privacy of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children?s online activities and interests. Children under the age of 16 should not use our Website and Platform. If we learn that we have collected personal data from a child under that age, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that we may have collected personal data from a child under that age can submit a request to email@example.com or use the?Contact us?page that it be removed,.
7.? ?How we protect your data?
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal information, user name, password, services information and data stored on our Website and Platform.
These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that any communications between you and us or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the?Website and Platform will be free from unauthorised access by third parties.
Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns.
8.? ?When do we change this policy?
9.? ?How to contact us?
Our address is?www.learningtree.co.za,?2 Ncondo Place, Ridgeside, Umhlanga Ridge, Durban, 4320, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.